Saturday, September 14, 2013

Why Ducati?

People have been asking me why I paint Ducatis. I love Ducati Motorcycles and I love to paint, so it seemed like a natural thing to do. But these questions have started me to thinking, "Why do I love Ducatis?" I've always loved Italian things and Ducatis seemed to always be at the top of my list. When I look at Ducati motorcycles in comparison to other bikes they look more purposeful. As though Ducati designs the race bike and then wraps the red italian bodywork around it. Where as other companies start with a great design and then add the high performance parts to fit. The soul of the Ducati starts with the engine, then the frame, then the suspension, then the bodywork.

The Ducati motor has so much character. The L twin motor seems very italian to me. It has the classic tactile twin cylinder beat, but a very refined beat. I always describe by 748s as sounding like seven hundred and forty eight tiny italian hammers all pounding in perfect unison. The rest of the bike just seems to fall into balance with the motor.

But I think there is something that attracts me to Ducatis even more than the purposeful design and red bodywork. The Italians seem to have the aesthetic written into their DNA. While many companies love racing and high performance motorcycles, Ducati seems to love the art of racing and high performance motorcycles. It seems like in everything they do the art takes precedence. Perhaps this has cost them occasionally when it would be easier to build an inline four to compete with the horsepower race. Ducati always tries, or perhaps must, stay true to the art of what they are doing. I don't think it's just marketing. I think it's who they are. It's their identity. As an artist I can relate to that. While they struggle through their current racing situation I will wait patiently because when the victories return it will be glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment